Candy Cane Cookie Recipe
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sifted confectioner’s sugar
1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons Spira red pigment
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Beat the butter, sugar, egg, and extracts together in a stand mixer.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and mix until combined.
- Divide dough in half and mix in the red pigment until evenly distributed.
- Roll 1 teaspoon of the red dough and 1 teaspoon of the white dough on a lightly floured board into 4 inch logs. The size can be adjusted to your preference!
- Place strips next to each other and twist into a coil. Bend one side into a candy cane shape.
- Place cookies on a lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes or until on the verge of browning.
- Sprinkle with sugar and crushed peppermint sticks while hot, if desired.