1 Dye A - Scour Solution
1 Dye B - Mordant Solution
1 100% cotton fabric swatch (red)
1 100% muslin (hemp) fabric swatch (blue)
1 100% linen fabric swatch (green)
1 jar 10g Electric Sky
2 pair gloves
1 popsicle stick
You will need:
• Heating source - hot plate or stove
• Tap water
• Temperature safe container that should not be used for food after dyeing
• Wear gloves throughout the entire dyeing process
• Alum is dangerous to inhale when hot and vaporized. Make sure you are in a space with ventilation and be careful to stand away during the heating process
• Alum should not be used in a container that you will be eating out of
Scouring removes coatings and debris that would interfere with the dye binding to the textile.
1. Put fabric swatches in a heat safe container
2. Fill your container with water, just covering the fabric swatches 3. Fill Dye A (soda ash) to top with water (15 mL) + shake well until dissolved
4. Pour Dye A into the container with swatches. Make sure to completely wet your swatches to avoid uneven dye.
5. Over a heat source, bring the swatch mixture to about 180 deg F and simmer, making sure to not boil throughout heating. Maintain heat for 5 minutes
6. Drain solution into sink, keeping fabric in container
Mordanting charges the textile so that it can attract and bind to the dye.
7. Pour Dye B (alum) to top with water (15 mL) + shake until dissolved 8. Fill your container with water, just covering the fabric swatches 9. Add alum solution to the same heatproof container with the fabric.
10. Bring to around 180 deg F and simmer, making sure to not boil throughout heating. Maintain heat for 5 minutes
11. Drain solution into sink, keeping fabric in container
Adding heat encourages adhesion between the textile and applied dye, followed by immediate cooling, which prevents the dyed protein from further degradation.
12. Measure out up to 4g of pigment (2 tsp or 4 scoops with popsicle stick)
13. Add up to 4g of pigment to the fabric swatch and blend vigorously [with gloves, physically rub pigment into fabric swatch] until swatch is completely covered. For complete coverage make sure pigment is spread evenly into fabric and into fibers.
14. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Be ready to load swatch container directly into the freezer
15. IMMEDIATELY place in the freezer for 30 minutes
16. Remove swatches from freezer and rinse well with cool water. This may take a couple washes. Only wash with gentle detergent (Woolite) and cold water.